Gena Hamshaw knows how to make food mouthwatering, and in her new book, Power Plates: 100 Nutritionally Balanced, One-Dish Vegan Meals, she does just that. Everything is mouthwatering and crave-worthy, whether you’re plant-based or not, and genius tweaks add vitality and brightness to vegan staples—and this cauliflower scramble is no exception. Vegan scrambles tend to be tofu-based, but this version uses cauliflower. “It becomes crisp-tender during cooking, and it soaks up spices and seasonings well,” Gena explains. “I especially like to pair it with chickpeas, which add protein and texture to this colorful morning meal.”
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white or yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small head cauliflower, chopped into small florets and pieces
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) water or low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1½ cups (250 g) cooked chickpeas, or 1 (15-oz, or 425-g) can, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1½ teaspoons ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ bunch kale, stemmed and chopped into bite-size pieces
- OPTIONAL ACCOMPANIMENTS: Cooked brown rice, whole grain toast, or baked sweet potatoes; hot sauce; lemon wedges
- Heat the oil in a large, wide skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 to 8 minutes, until the onion is tender and golden. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower and stir to combine, then add the water. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes, until the cauliflower is crisp-tender.
- Stir in the chickpeas, tamari, turmeric, mustard powder, paprika, thyme, and nutritional yeast and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until the chickpeas are warm and the cauliflower is perfectly tender and beginning to brown. Add the kale and cook, stirring constantly, until the kale has wilted. Taste and adjust the seasonings if desired. Serve right away, along with any desired accompaniments.